Deck Post Surrounded by Soil

whaas_5aDecember 17, 2011

Hello!

This particular deck post was originally surrounded by soil but after I put the patio down the front side is no longer surrounnded by soil. The patio is level with the footing.

Is it ok to have the soil right next to the post? For the most part the grade is pitched away from the post.

I have a well drained soil (mainly sandy) and I did put river pebbles right behind the post so it wasn't moist soil right against it. I don't know if this is better thing to do or not.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

What type of wood is this post? If it is to be in contact with soil it should at the very least be ground contact pressure treated. Other wise it will rot.

Bookmark   December 20, 2011 at 8:46AM
whaas_5a

Is there anyway to tell by looking at it? Probably a dumb question...

I'll check with the builder and see what he says. Although he was the one that did the grading and put the soil against the post so he would likely say its fine anyhow.

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 11:20PM
sierraeast

Is the post concreted in the footing or does it sit on a post base? The concrete bumping up to the post is a problem along with the soils contact. It wouldn't be that big a project to brace up the header temporarily, cut the post, and install it on a raised post base if your builder is competent. Pressure treated, redwood, cedar are ground contact species, but still not a good idea to have them in contact, imo.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Low deck and sleepers
I am installing a 200sq foot deck using reclaimed ironwood...
colingalloway
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™