Question on securing pea gravel around square cement step stones

msubobcatDecember 26, 2007

We have recently purchased a 1940 Georgian Colonial with a beautiful grapevine covered portico/patio in the backyard. There are square 12x12 cement stepping 'stones' covering the floor of this portico all surrounded by pea gravel. It is lovely, however, the gravel is always blowing around whenever it's windy or the leaf blower is used. It is very high maintenance. Other than starting over and putting in cement and reapplying the peagravel, is there any other way to secure or set the existing pea gravel around these stones? I couldn't think of anything that could be applied around the gravel or poured over it to adhere them so they were basically cemented together. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for your opinions!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckman22

portland

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 10:20PM
tom_nwnj
I was going to put pea gravel under the perimeter of this fence that I build last year. The landscape guy talked me out of it. He said I need something solid around the perimeter. We went with these pavers.

He was right.

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 7:39AM
msubobcat

Thanks tom nwnj. I wish the former owners had used pavers. We have an extensive number of the 12" square steps to work with (~150 of them) so would rather keep those intact, although leveling will be required for some. Each step is surrounded by pea gravel currently. I like the pea gravel and would like to keep it. The trouble is trying to maintain it...i.e.,. can it be cemented, glued, or whatever, to stay intact during windy times?

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 3:19PM
tom_nwnj

msubobcat

I suspect the answer to your question is no. I can't imagine how you can glue it.

Just realize that landscaping has the highest payback of all home improvements. (and the hardscape part of landscaping will probably never get any cheaper).

If you can't pay a contractor to fix the problem, you can do it yourself - this is not electrical engineering. You just need a vision of the final look, then ask people how to accomplish it.

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 6:12PM
marcinde

I've been on several pathways that have clearly been some sort of stabilized agg product. They're sold as soil stabilizers (type that into google and settle in), but the principle is the same. I haven't used them myself, don't know how they're affected by climate (the website below is for a mfr in Phoenix), and don't know how well the product works as a "retrofit"- but it *could* work. Come to think of it, one of the private residences in Colonial Williamsburg has a stabilized pea gravel front walk.

Here is a link that might be useful: manufacturer site

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 9:32PM
msubobcat

marcinde
Thanks for the information on the soil stabilizers; this looks most interesting and is something I'm definitely going to look into. This must might be one answer. I realize nothing is going to be an easy fix, and I do want a nice looking end-product. Thanks again!!!

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 2:24PM
brickeyee

A brick border will go a long way to keeping the gravel in place.

Bookmark   December 30, 2007 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™