Commercials for places you don't have.

terilynApril 10, 2013

I hate having to watch ads for stores, restaurants, etc. that we don't have. K Mart is the worst, haven't been in the Houston area for at least ten years. Yes, I know I can change the channel or not watch tv.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

This annoys my husband, too. I keep reminding him that it's not all about HIM all of the time, lol. The station can and will sell advertising time to anyone within their broadcasting area, which might be very substantial.

Those K Mart ads are for those folks sitting down and watching the same network, same provider as you are....but who have a K Mart around the corner.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:23AM
Cynic

I think it's kind of funny that they waste the money advertising outside of their area. Conceivably KMart could benefit from online sales so that's arguable. But there's not a Golden Corral within 200 miles of me that I know of so that's a waste. I realize though that they're likely advertising network-wide and not being overwritten by local commercials if the local station couldn't sell the time. Sometimes however the networks will sell the time and all their O&O stations must run the commercials and occasionally all of the affiliates must run them to up the viewer numbers for pricing.

But hey, it gives you a chance to use the bathroom, grab a beer or talk with the SO.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:19AM
imjustme_gw

Could be several reasons... pricing packages, name recognition. Even though you don't have a Golden Corral, you may travel and see one and that name recognition kicks in. I at one time worked for a company who would advertise in areas they were considering expanding to. It was kinda like pre-advertising.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:41AM
jannie

There's no Denny's near me. I'm in Long Island NY. When I visit my 2 sisters in Buffalo I try to schedule a visit to Denny's for a big Grand Slam breakfast.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 9:35AM
chisue

While DH and I were renting in a nearby suburb -- waiting for our new home to be finished -- we'd get a weekly grocery flyer that had only a store's name on it, and no address. We couldn't find the name in the phone book either. I wondered where the store was and who was approving the advertising costs.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:12AM
joyfulguy

Hi Chisue,

When all else fails ...

... including reading the instruction book ...

... or a map ...

... ask a neighbour!

o j

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:56PM
dorothy_oahu

We get that time here in Hawaii!

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:31AM
rob333

Or you can shop online is why they air it there? Maybe.

I don't blame you for not liking those ads. I think KMart ads have been obnoxious since last November. And they were on every commercial break, sometimes twice in a break until after Christmas. UGH!

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:50AM
linda_in_iowa

There are no Macy's in Iowa and I miss shopping at Macy's. There sees to be Macy's ads on the networks and I don't think they can make them location specific.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Snakes!
It is that time here. There are snakes everywhere....
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Monday's Trivia Quiz
A new survey found that almost 25% of married couples...
Jasdip
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 27 in. Polished Steel Table Lamp CLI-LS447610
$59.20 | Home Depot
Illumine Lamps 71 in. Polished Steel Torchiere Lamp CLI-LS436317
Home Depot
Illumine Posts 3-Light Outdoor English Bronze Pale Cream Seeded Glass
Home Depot
Kamp Kitchen 10-inch Commercial Meat Slicer
Overstock.com
American Lighting Commercial Grade Light String 48 Foot LF-M-24-48-BK
Alcon Lighting Supply Co
Regency Solar Pole-Mount Lamp
$230.00 | FRONTGATE
Blaze 16-inch Double Access Drawer
Overstock.com
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 3-Light Wall Mount Lantern Bark and Gold Finish Hamme
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™