decking

missmaimeeDecember 3, 2012

Please help! Our composite decking on our new deck has areas of sagging. The joists are 16' apart, and was constructed for our second story. Contractor claims his job is sound. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Builder-Bob

What you want to do is find out what the Manufactures specs are when it comes to joist spacing, make sure your looking at the specs for the width and thickness of the boards you have. Some call for 12" on center although 16" on center is common practice.

-If the product calls for 16" on center, and that's what you have (triple check), call the manufacturer, but before you do be prepared to get the 5th degree (is there any heating ducts running under the deck, proper ventilation, heavy loads on deck, use a grill on the deck, etc).

-If it calls for 12" on center call your Contractor (be easy on them though, because like I mentioned 16" on center is common)

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:34PM
margerydaniel

As long as the wooden structure is sound, a sagging deck with an above-ground foundation-block system can be brought back to level fairly easily by simply jacking up the structure immediately be- side each settled post, adding patio slabs or pressure-treated wood spacers beneath the foundation block, then easing the structure back down and checking for level.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 3:31AM
millworkman

Margery, the decking is sagging not the deck structure!! Guarantee the decking is not set properly or the joists spacing is not correct.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Concrete Repair or Replace?
Ok, I bought an older home this past November and the...
niecyt13
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™