Advice on major inground pool renovation

eduardhJune 13, 2010

I would appreciate advice on a major pool renovation that I am starting. I have a 38,000 in ground Sylvan pool (in NJ) that is about 30 years old. The main problem is the poured concrete deck which is in bad shape. It is sinking in sections and badly cracked in others. There are also hollow areas underneath some of the slabs probably from bad drainage around the pool area. I have contacted a number of pool companies for estimates. I am also going to have the pool replastered (I was told that paint applied by prior owner needs to be sandblasted before new plaster can be applied). Finally, I need new coping and tile. I would appreciate any advice on questions to ask to contractors and things to watch out for. One big question is whether I need to have the old deck jackhammered out and repoured. My guess is yes since it is sinking and badly deteriorated, but a pool guy yesterday told me that he could just pour concrete over the surface of the old deck and it would be fine (I assume that he is trying to scam me). Also, what cost range should I expect for the renovation? I know that it will depend somewhat on the materials I choose, but what would be a reasonable range? I very much appreciate your help and insight.

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rack Etear

"(I assume that he is trying to scam )"

It's like building a house on a bad foundation.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:59AM
poolguynj

Things we need to know:

Perimeter of the pool.
Depth, shallow and deep.
Bench lengths
Spa? Raised or flush?
If the pool was painted, it's possible that a chip out of the old plaster may be needed and in fact, may be easier, faster, and yield better results than sand blasting. Some paints won't come off with a sand blaster, which makes an awful mess everywhere btw.

Scott
. Amount decking in square feet desired or width desired from the pool edge. This is big.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:06AM
Sallyd74

Hello. We are thinking to renovate our pool which is around 15 years old. We've been advised to resurface the interior with Quartzon or Pebblecrete. Has anyone used either of these interiors in their pools?

We were told to look at Poolsurf & Quartzon design interiors: http://www.poolsurf.com.au/

Mad Pool Interiors were also reccommended by a friend. Any advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poolsurf Interiors

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:57PM
neilaz

Sallyd74. Start a new thread with your question. You will get better results compared to hijacking someone else

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Everyone's pics in this one thread
In case you didn't see her post---Angie is making the...
Boby Huffard
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals
Hello, I am a first time hot tub owner and I'm in the...
gil_happy
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Sponsored Products
Levolor 2-inch Classic Value Wood Blinds
Blindsgalore
Pool Ceiling Flush Mount / Pendant
Lightology
Ariana Black Rectangle: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 9 in. Rug
$349.00 | Bellacor
24" Sandstone Round Outdoor Pool or Pond Fountain
Lamps Plus
54" Cypress Crossback Swing
Fifthroom.com
Safavieh Black/Sand Indoor/Outdoor Machine-Made Rug (2'2" x 14')
Overstock.com
PD2 Floor Lamp - White - Gubi
$749.00 | HORNE
15733BKT Textured Black 4.5 Watts Wide Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™