IKEA Drawer Fronts & Hardware Placement

aloha2009March 1, 2014

I'm trying to move forward on my kitchen material choices and it's going s-l-o-w.

I am still considering IKEA because I just love the frameless cabinets. I'm not in love with any of their drawers but some are acceptable - partly.

I like the Ramsjo, but I do not like how I always seem to see where the handle placement is for the bottom 2 drawer- top part of drawer. If I can't install the handles in the middle like I usually see on other cabinet lines, I probably won't do IKEA cabinets.

My DH said that we can place a strip of wood across the back distributing the load of the pulling action across the cabinets instead of just where the screws go. It sounds like it would work, but I don't want to have any surprises down the line, and then my cabinet door has been discontinued.

Has anyone managed to place the drawer handles in the middle of the bottom 2 drawers? Any problems. Pics of hack?

This post was edited by aloha2009 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 0:21

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbtrix

You can install the handles where you please. The holes are not pre-drilled for handles and knobs so placement is up to you. I have 36" and 30" base drawers. Don't see a problem with a center mount though the size of the handle should be taken into consideration if only using one. The drawers glide so smoothly. I'm in the middle of an Ikea install and love them so far. I've got Lidingo around my perimeter and Ramsjo for my island. Ramsjo is a good choice.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 8:39PM
aloha2009

I'm concerned that the wood in the middle is too thin to take the pressure there would be at the points of where the screws are attached. I think that is why handles on IKEA cabinet drawers are on the top portion and not in the middle. Most other cabinet lines have the thickness of the drawer and then there is a piece of wood to the drawer itself which distributes the load. Where did you put your handles?

That said, I would think there is a work around to all this, but it would be nice to see what others have done.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:50PM
writersblock

Yes, if you look at ikea's inspiration kitchens the handles are always on the top rail instead of in the middle. Over at ikeafans they seem to say that if you want centered handles you should put something behind to shore up the handle area.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 10:47PM
bbtrix

I just checked a Ramsjo door and the center is thinner. The Lindigo is as thick in the center as the top. All my drawers are Lldingo and I've not installed handles yet. I don't think I'd want something behind for support. Have you considered Semi-handmade fronts?

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 11:11PM
writersblock

Well, it's not a big deal to put a little shim material or something like that behind the handle area of the panel to reinforce it a bit.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™