screwing down new deck planks

sharpstickDecember 6, 2013

I'm replacing old dry rotted deck planks. The old frame looks intact under the top quarter inch, so I am using slightly longer deck screws.
The new PT deck planks are heavy with the PT chemicals and I've already bought the first trailerload and they are airing out to dry a bit. Is it okay to screw them down immediately, or do they need to dry out more? I would like to install the rest as soon as I bring them home.
When can I coat them with deck finish? And what kind? The last batch was painted with supposedly premium deck stain which didn't last at all. I plan to use an opaque finish this time to make them last longer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckman22

The screws will go in much easier when the boards are wet than dry, just butt them tight when laying them.

An opaque finish means semi-solid stain, a mistake on a deck floor imo. I would suggest TWP rustic for a treated pine deck.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharpstick

By "rustic", are you referring to the color? TWP has several products, 100 and 1500 both have a rustic color. I can't find much information on the differences between their products, (except the price).

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™