Pool step railings

ammengesJune 30, 2012

Hi. We are in the middle of building a gunite pool in wall township NJ. The just poured the stamped concrete and there are two holes near the steps for a hand rail. I guess I hadn't consider the holes when the PB told me they needed to put in a railing to pass inspection, but then we could take it outif we wanted. Are hand railings actually required? Anybody know the rules about this?

Thanks

Anne Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I would call the township inspector directly. I have customers that are configured both ways but both of the ones I am thinking of in Wall are a bit older and codes are subject to change.

How wide are your steps? This may be one of the criteria used.

Having the rail there is especially useful for seniors and the handicapped. I understand that the look isn't as clean but I look at that as a small potatoes item in the scheme of things. I often have friends over and am glad my rail is there.

Scott

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 6:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
c9pilot

We weren't required to have railing either, but had the anchors bonded in so that we could put one in later when my Impaired FIL came to visit. Ends up that we've never taken it out. I like having it there, although I am glad that I had them offset it to one side vice centered on the step.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™