Putting New Roof on Porch

splatsNovember 6, 2012

My back porch is about 50x9 and attached to the house with 2x6 support beams every two feet. The roof is roll roofing over plywood base. The roof really needs replacing. The house was built in 1991 and the plywood used looks like it was maybe 3/8 at best. Anyway I'm looking into a new patio roof as a DIY project. The support structure is good, it's only the plywood roof that needs replacing.

I have two questions.

1. I'm thinking of doing a new roof with something other than plywood and asphalt, using some kind of aluminum sheeting. Will be much cheaper and easier, we'll easier anyway. Is this a viable option?

2. Will doing this impact value of house? I.e., a solid plywood roof consider better quality than sheeting?

Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb

First off, plywood is sheathing, so, no worries there.

If it were me, I would rip out the existing down to the porch framing, add either 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, 50 pound tar paper and regular 30 year three tab shingles. Of course, all the appropriate flashing, etc.

This would both look nice and last a long time. And, not be very costly either!! :)

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:46PM
splats

That's pretty much what I decided was the only reasonable thing to do. That along with painting the underside. I had actually thought about putting breadboard on the underside to clean it up and look good. Then I got looking at available things and found grooved pine sheeting. So now I'm wondering if I could use the grooved pine instead of the plywood with three tab roofing on top. Anyone comments?

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:32PM
millworkman

Make certain that the rafters for the porch will be strong enough to carry the additional weight of heavier plywood, and the roof shingles as what you have now is more than likely 3 tab and most all roof's these days are Dimensional or Architectural type shingles (which will be heavier) as well as the potential weight of the beadboard.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 4:19PM
splats

The support rafters are 2x6's on 24" centers. The current roofing is roll roofing. Both the to thin original plywood and roofing are shot.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 4:54PM
tjdabomb

Definitely check the load calcs of your proposed roof before you move forward.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
What to Expect from Your Premium Decking Contractor
You’ve decided to hire a decking contractor. Congratulations!...
Design Builders, Inc.
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™