Glossy finish to pre-sealed deck

littlebum2002November 8, 2010

Hi,

I recently installed a raised cedar deck. I searched DIY forums for days looking for the "perfect" sealant, and found out there isn't one! Every sealant one guy swears buy, another one dismisses. So I made a short list, and used Olympic Maximum cedar-tinted semi transparent sealant, and am very happy with the results.

HOWEVER, I kind of wanted a "glossy" finish to my deck, and olympic maximum is anything but. It is very flat. Is there some kind of top coat I can put on as a bit of extra protection, and to give me that glossy look that will look great, and hopefully help at keeping the deck clean? I'm worried that any top coat I put on will not "stick" on a pre-sealed deck.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckman22

You could try putting a coat of spar uerathane over it, but you could be opening a can of worms. It could peel/flake/crack in a short time, then be really hard to re-finish. I tried it myself years ago on a commercial project cause they wanted a gritty surface because parts of the deck were sloped to match with concrete work, therefore slippery so I added grit into the eurathane. It looked/worked great, but because of the large amount of foot traffic it was wore off in 3-4 months.

Another down side is the stuff is costly, doesn't go as far as most stains & is harder to put on cause it's thick.

The stain/sealer I used was not the same as what you used, it was superdeck which is an easy one coat application that looks good, but just doesn't hold up well here. The GC supplied the stain so that's what I had to use, would not have been my choice which is TWP.

Since you said you were happy with the stain you have I'd advise leave it alone.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 12:32PM
dooer

I second Deckman's answer. There are no glossy deck sealers. There are exterior polyurathanes out there, but they are not meant for deck surfaces.

I've used them on some outdoor furniture and it truly looks great, but I have to sand it down and redoo it every year.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 6:35PM
john_hyatt

It is possible to have a low gloss finish on an outside project by building coats with twp 100 series that will last 3 years or so.

It requires Work/time. J.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
Sponsored Products
Avanity Provence 24-in. Antique Cherry Linen Tower - PROVENCE-LT24-AC
Hayneedle
Lite Source Rhine Single-light Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
Cal Lighting Hand Blown Red Table Lamp
$180.40 | LuxeDecor
Knoll | Flat Bar Brno Chair
YLiving.com
Danze® Opulence™ Towel Ring - Polished Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Wood Molding & Trim: Mohawk Flooring Hickory Chocolate 13/32 in. Thick x 2 in.
$30.98 | Home Depot
Hydro Systems Sylvia 6642 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Kraus Bathroom Combo Set White Round Ceramic Sink/Faucet
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™