Deck covering basement window

evelyn.annNovember 17, 2013

We have one of those tiny windows in the basement at ground level. Still, it would let in a lot of light EXCEPT for the fact that the deck is built above the window. Deck is elevated about 9" off the ground.

I've been trying to brainstorm ideas for un-blocking the window and getting some light into the basement. Thinking along the lines of carving a semi-circular portion out of the deck (think, window well) and then putting in something translucent in its place.

But I can't think of anything that would be strong enough that you could still walk on it (glass block obviously would not work).

I have seen pictures where they cut a square portion out of the deck and then added a railing, but unfortunately my deck is too small that I don't think that would work.

Any ideas on how to let the light in? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

With all the energy efficient lighting that is available, why not just add more light fixtures within the basement?

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

steel grating. It's what we set on window wells where they have to be a part of the patio. Most shops that do iron rails will be able to cut a panel of grating to fit and address the ends. If you want to get fancy and you have composite decking you could even have the grating powdercoated to match.

I wouldn't go semi-circular if it's going to be set flush with the decking though. All that'll do is call attention to it. Also more of a PITA to deal with. Keep it simple.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Exposed wiring in patio cover
We are building a new backyard patio cover and the...
vweidman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™