LOTTO - February 2013
Lotto February 2013
For this month we have another simple block, but one that will make a beautiful red and white quilt. Hole in the Barn Door is our pattern. This is an old traditional block. The Churn Dash or Shoo Fly patterns are all made the same with varying center block sizes. You will find them under a lot of names but I chose Hole in the Barn Door to showcase a large floral type print in the center.
So, around your 6-1/2" center, you should use a red print, anything that reads solid from a distance, and an ivory/white background. I say background because in this one, I turned the outside HSTs and strips so that the red went next to the floral. (See the samples.) This makes a wonderful white secondary pattern in the quilt. As you can see from the samples, pick reds that match your florals and all together, this should be a great quilt for someone. Remember when putting the block together to turn all the reds toward your floral.
Color 1 - Your red print to match center
Color 2 - I used off-white but any white or ivory will give nice results. Go by your floral colors.
Center - Your 6-1/2" floral
This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!
A few specifics:
- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks
- all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation. With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the winning blocks.
- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)
- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing
- you will have 1 chance to win per block.
Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.
Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.
Here is a link that might be useful: Hole in the Barn Door block
This post was edited by toolgranny on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 10:19