Pump location/height to pool

doylineJune 9, 2011

We are building our first pool, the PB raised the level of the equipment pad. He said it was best if the pump was higher than the pool. It looks like it is sitting on a mound. Is this correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
golfgeek

doyline,
Most swimming pool pumps are self priming. They should be placed at a height that allows you to open the pump basket without having pool water freely flowing out.
As you move the pump higher in elevation above the water, it makes the pump work harder and makes it more difficult to prime when you do open the pump lid.
As with any plumbing, the most important numbers include pipe size and distance from the pool. Optimium size plumbing for most standard pools is 2" PVC pipe with the pump placed within 25' of the pool.
I place my pumps on a concrete slab that is about the same elevation as the deck or slightly above the elevation of the landscape immediately around the slab.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 1:29PM
Jannellee

Doyline. to bring up you topic. I also have a slab (concrete pad) question. What size should I go with for a pad. Does anyone know what is standard. What's good. Or enough, but not too large. My side house area is long but these homes are very close together. I have 6 feet in width from my wall to my fence. The PB was going to do a 4 x 6, but I mentioned to please go with 3 x 7. Is that good. Is that too big. Should I do 3 x 6 or what should I do. He is cool with whatever I choose. He doesnt mind going bigger or smaller. No price increase. Whatever I want. But I don't know what I should want. Should I leave extra room.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:08PM
golfgeek

jannellee,
Generally, for a filter and a pump and a cleaner booster pump, a 4x4 pad is plenty with the plumbing being slightly outside the pad. Add another 4' if you have a heater.
You will not have a lot of walk space any configuration that is used.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:27PM
Jannellee

Thanks.
Little walkway has me worried. But we went with 34" x 78". and plumbing will be out just about 3" more from the pad. It looks huge to me. But that was playing it safe the PB said. For now the extra in length I will use to put a pot or a storage box for chemicals or whatever. I will have about 3' of space left on the pad with future possibilities of a heater, I hope. And from the pad to the fence I will have 38" (a little over 3 feet) to walk and pass a lawn mower. Thanks

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™