Need advise re cedar deck specifically for dogs!

dorothyhereNovember 6, 2009

My new dog got really sick from eating very tiny mushrooms that started growing in the mulch in the dog potty area. We live in Austin Texas. It can go a year without raining and then suddenly start and then mushrooms everywhere almost instantly! This is an emergency situation to keep our dog alive so we decided we needed to build a deck for the dogs instead of using mulch to be really safe. We have put down cement blocks for a base and then pressure treated lumber as support and then we are putting cedar on top of that because pressure treated can be toxic to dogs.

We do not care about preserving the beauty of the cedar - but - we do need this wood to be sealed extremely well because it has to stand up to doggie excrement and urine as long as possible and needs to last without rotting and I would like to go as long as possible without having to reseal/oil/stain/whatever.

It is a small deck and the dogs are small and it is in an out of the way area that won't be seen much on the side of the house.

We have used Cabots opaque stain on things made of pressure treated wood and that hasn't held up well - but granted - we didn't stain it fast enough and we used opaque white sealer/stain on cedar shingles and the bleeding is awful. But we DO have a can of Cabots opaque stain that we could use on the cedar if it is the best thing to use.

Do we need to do anything to this new cedar planking first and then what should we use to make this cedar as doggie and weatherproof as possible.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dorothyhere

Got some Velvit CDF stain - supposed to be non-toxic after drying and less toxic in general. REALLY EXPENSIVE! I'll let y'all know how it works.

Dorothy

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 10:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ya_think

You built a deck to for your dog to crap on. Now I've heard it all. Why didn't you just remove the mulch or train him to go somewhere else?

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Gossen Passport Decking - anyone?
We are in the planning stages of removing a 25 year...
constanceann
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
Bad Caulk Job- Need Advise
We had some structural work done to our front patio....
Vanessa Abbey
Please recommend finish product for reclaimed redwood deck
We are installing a redwood deck in our new build and...
honu3421
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Sponsored Products
FJ Neo Pro Aim Head
Lightology
Giant Cinnamon Rolls
$48.00 | Horchow
Fanimation Aire Decor 52-inch Energy Star Rated Ceiling Fan
Overstock.com
PL642RE 6" Non IC Remodel Housing - 42W Triple Vertical CFL
LBC Lighting
36x22x8" Genuine Apron Gray Granite Stone Kitchen Sink - NORWAY
Living'ROC