Wood Deck over concrete slab..Photos

alteritNovember 27, 2008

First time using photos..

I am doing major renovation and they tore up my wood deck. They are replacing it with 2 slabs of concrete. I don't have budget right now for new wood deck. Can I build a deck over the concrete? Any ideas on what would look good?

I did a lot of entertaining out there and will miss being up higher than the ground. We are in Florida.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alterdesigns/OldWoodDeckHousePhotosPVBlvd#5273382765302035362 From Old Wood Deck House Photos PV Blvd From Old Wood Deck House Photos PV Blvd

From Old Wood Deck House Photos PV Blvd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
huskyridor

You can easily build a wood deck over an existing concrete patio.
All you need is a good carpenter or some mechanical aptitude, woodworking tools, and you could do it yourself.

See ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   November 28, 2008 at 11:04PM
sierraeast

Why are they pouring 2 concrete slabs? what was the condition of the existing deck? Not getting it, why not just build a new deck, but if you diy, make sure you know local codes and safe deck building practices! There's more to it than that concerning proper flashing teqniques if attached to the house so water wont get behind the rim board and cause rot....many other things you will need to know, but most important is safety.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 5:38PM
alterit

They had to take off the deck to put on the addition to the house. The Deck was not in good shape. The photos are 5 years old.
Apparently Building a new wood deck is more expensive than putting down a concrete patio deck.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 9:15PM
joel_davie_hotmail_com

What finish did you use on the timber?

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 8:15AM
glenmacgregor_live_ca

wont the wood over concrete hold water and bugs

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 8:37PM
catbird

We have a wood deck over a concrete pad by our kitchen door and it works fine. We have an unusual situation because that area gets a LOT of run-off from uphill and across the driveway, all of which drains under the deck and into the back yard. The builder sloped both sides of the concrete slightly toward center so it channels the water there. We used garrapa wood (ipe was too expensive at that time because the Chinese were buying it all for Olympics construction). We did not paint or seal it, so it has weathered to grey, but shows no sign of deteriorating after 3 years.

You do have to put the deck on 4x4 legs and raise it enough to allow air to circulate under it.

Hope you get your deck back!

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™