concrete side yard?

willajoNovember 20, 2012

Would kindly appreciate any feedback you may have.

We have a small side yard often filled with cat poop and weeds. Our neighbor is rebuilding his concrete block wall and has kindly offered any excess concrete from his footing for us to use on home projects.

We are thinking of finishing the side yard in concrete sloping to a drainage reservoir of some sort against the concrete block wall and draining out the front of the house to the street.

Are there any cons to this we should think about? I have attached a picture, you will see some access areas to under the house. We live in socal and rain has not been too excessive.. but you never know these days.

My only worries are whether this would be sufficient for drainage.. or if we would be better off with a mix of concrete and gravel. (when it rains we usually get a few inches of standing water that goes away in a half an hour or so. Also, our plumbing cleanout runs under that area and I guess if there would be an issue with that we would have to rip out the concrete.

thoughts? Your advice is very much appreciated from this novice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb

I take the concrete and make the walk, of course, making sure the draining, your clean-outs and access are all kept in mind.

Make sure your neighbor will have enough extra to do your whole walk. :p

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 1:03PM
dennisgli

I'd go with landscape fabric (for the weeds) and coarse stone (for the cats).

This post was edited by dennisgli on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 7:44

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:13PM
leenamark

Yeah I think it would be sufficient for the drainage as you say that there does not rain much. And when it rains then the water recedes within half an hour.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:25AM
margerydaniel

Concrete pavers are designed to withstand the elements. If installed correctly, they can withstand freezing winters and extremely hot summers. They can be used in areas that receive lots of water, and areas where it doesn't rain much at all.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 3:10AM
willajo

We decided to do the concrete and it looks great! Much nicer and clean and no cats using it as their litterbox

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
decorative Concrete porch floor over concrete?
We poured our porch a couple of years ago, thinking...
DruidClark
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™