do you recommend 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardibacker for porch floor?

springplanterNovember 10, 2013

We will be installing either ceramic tile or stone over the screened porch floor underlay hardibacker. This is a 14 x 14 room over an insulated basement space.

I have seen both 1/4 and 1/2 in hardibacker recommended for floors Which is best for this space?

And in this case, should the hardibacker be installed with thin-set underneath?

Thanks for your replies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

"And in this case, should the hardibacker be installed with thin-set underneath?"

In EVERY CASE hardibacker must be installed with thinset underneath. Any contractor who omits this step is a HACK!

Sorry to shout, but this is one thing that really aggravates me, contractors who don't read the installation manual, or refuse to follow it because they know other guys who cut corners and they have been getting away with it.

And to answer the first question, 1/4" is for floors. The reason is you don't want to overload the floor. Cement board underlayment does not add any stiffness to the subfloor. It actually causes a bit of sag, due to the additional weight. If your subfloor is too thin, or has too much deflection, the joists need to be strengthened, or the subfloor must be replaced with thicker material.

1/2" cement board is for walls, designed to fasten directly to the studs. It behaves differently in a vertical position, sag is not a factor.

And for a semi-exterior space that will be getting wet sometimes, I would recommend installing a schluter membrane over the cement board. This will prevent water from seeping into the floor, and keep the tiles from popping loose.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
Sponsored Products
Cylinder Laser-cut Pattern Crystals Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Brownie Gifts Natural Giraffe Diaper Bag - NATGIRDB
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Desk of the Sea
| Dot & Bo
Korver Leather Sectional - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Seven-drawer Chest
Overstock.com