EZ3 hand quilting Grace frame help needed

lauriethFebruary 5, 2010

I have my EZ3 frame set up and put the backing on but am confused about the top and batting. It says put the top directly over the batting but it show them the exact same size, not the batting being bigger like I am use to, how does this work, should I be cutting them the same size.

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petalpatsy

You're ahead of me because I have a row to go on the top, and don't have the rachets/rachets stops on yet. I do have the couch pushed back and the frame in the middle of the living room! I see what you mean about the pictures in the instruction book, but it seems like if this was a frame that actually eliminated needing some extra backing/batting in case of shifting they would be stating that specifically as a big marketing point.

I got mine from KathyQuilts, and her site has a picture of a loaded frame that appears to show a traditional amount of extra batting gathered inside the bungee clamp close-up.

I've seen long arms set up and they always have extra backing and batting all around the edges.

I hope someone answers that's completed quilts on the EZ3. For my part right now, I'm planning on leaving an extra three inches of backing and batting all around.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of quilt on EZ3

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 1:08PM
damascusannie

I'm guessing that they trimmed the batting to the same size as the top just so it would look neater in the pictures.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 2:18PM
laurieth

I have the backing rowed on and it has the extra 3 inches on all sides, I am wondering if I just took the extra off the top that I pin to the leader cloth on the 3rd rail if that works, but if I am wrong and I get back to that spot at the end of all my quilting and it did shift I am up a creek.
I wrote to what they called an expert at grace co but have not heeard back and most likely will not.
Hopefully someone who uses this will add a post.
Laurie

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 2:37PM
quiltime_1_hotmail_com

I have used my EZ3 frame a lot! I do find it necessary to have extra length for the backing and batting, the reason being, the top may stretch longer as you unroll it while quilting. I do not have any trouble with it getting wider, but have had to add more to my backing and batting once. Not a fun job when most of the quilt is already quilted.
Otherwise the frame is great! Hope you enjoy yours.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sponsored Products
Trees in Winter Oval Ceramic Table Lamp by The Natural Light
Lamps Plus
Eos Ceiling/Wall Sconce No. 82221 by Eglo
$84.00 | Lumens
Zaragoza 5-Light Chandelier
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Tay Tay Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Magma Glass
$175.50 | Bellacor
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Garden Elf Holdin
$16.98 | Home Depot
Minka Level 17 1/2" Wide LED Honey Gold Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Brushed Nickel Mini Pendant 1-Light
$80.00 | PLFixtures
Pure Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™