WAS 'use of stringers on deck steps' final answer

anita55November 13, 2009

Hello, just an ending to my story for those who were giving me advice. The contractor came back in person and replaced the steps, using 10 and 1/2 inch stair tread brackets (which he told me didn't exist), nicely cut steps, and used bolts to fasten. I can feel the difference when I walk on them. They are done in a professional manner, as should have been done in the first place. I still don't understand how he could have told me that there are no 10 and 1/2 inch stair tread brackets. I'll give him credit that he found them and used them instead of insisting on the 8 and 1/2s. Thanks to all who took the time to write. Next time I have a job to be done I will ask questions first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

You done good Anita.

Not all of us have access to everything. After 30 years in the trades I still learn a few things from the Folks I hire. Your Contractor is a good Dude. Every now and then I have a job that goes wrong just the nature of the business...we fix it no matter what like your Guy. J.

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 6:54PM
ya_think

Been following without commenting. One thing that stood out from the start aside from the ugly job itself was your contractors willingness to make it right. Glad you are happy now.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 12:07AM
anita55

I am happy with his willingness to fix what was done wrong the first time. I wonder if I had paid him immediately if he would have been so great about re-doing it. I am still a bit disturbed that it had to be done completely over to make it right. I hope he fired the crew that did the original job or sent them somewhere to be trained! Thanks again, all.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™