Sikkens SRD - beginner questions

agiglioOctober 13, 2010

I'm staining a new pt deck and screen porch floor with Sikkens Cetol SRD - Teak. I picked up lots of useful tips from this forum, but have a few beginner questions. I sanded the floor with a 12-18 vibrating sander using 60 grit paper. Blew the dust off with a leaf blower and then used a tack rag. Sanded the spindles and edges by hand. Accidentally used 100 grit and had to go back and re-sand with 60!

Questions:

It's calling for rain for the next 2 days. Do I need to re-sand or do anything else to prepare the wood after the rain? Wait 2 dry days? Folks at the paint store all tell me something different.

I tested the stain on a couple of scrap pieces of wood (that underwent the same prep) and noticed a few shiny spots after a full day of drying. Did I apply to heavily? I read that some people wipe off the excess stain with a rag after 5 minutes.

Thanks from a novice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

I've got SRD #089 Redwood on my deck and fence.

We sell a LOT of it up here!

You've done the perfect prep. Wait 'till wood is dried-out...depends on your temps/night-time humidity, etc.
Try not to apply in sun.

Yes- shiny spots indicate the wood isn't pulling-in the stain in those areas.
Yes- 5-15 minutes is OK to wait b4 wiping excess off.

I like using the Wooster "Stainer" brush. It's got a handle that screws off so you can use your shop-broom pole instead.
Now...you can STAND UP and stain the deck!

Faron
(SRD Dude!)

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ty_dexter_hotmail_com

I am staining the underside of new cedar and the person that is building the deck said to do one coat of Cetol 1. When I went to the hardware store to pick up the product the person there said to use SRD. What do you recommend.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™