Ipe decking- too late for end grain sealer

aj4andyOctober 17, 2011

I just recently had an ipe deck installed. The contractor doing it did not use end grain sealer. Now I'm worried. Question is, is it too late to apply it? He has to come back to finish some other stuff. Should I have him apply anchorseal now? We could get to most ends by removing a couple of the outside boards that line it. It's been about a month or so since most of the wood was cut. I live in NE and it is getting colder and drier quickly here. Some boards have some checking already but most do not yet. A couple of the 4x4 posts have very bad face checking already. Is it a bad idea to seal the ends now after the wood has dried out quite a bit already?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riles_j

I would not worry about it. I did not seal the ends of my boards and they do just fine. You will do more damage trying to remove/seal in my opinion. As far as the posts go, I had some cracking on the posts as well. Again I think that is normal. you should try not to leave the end of the 4x4 exposed to the elements and cover it with end caps or seal (not sure your post style).

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaansu

Is this sealing the same thing as waxing the ends? For ipe, I seem to see a lot of reference to wax being used for sealing versus other materials.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™