small deck question

weezeeOctober 8, 2009

We are having a new house built, our plans call for two small decks (8' by 3')with stairs to yard off the rear of the house. We are looking to combine the decks, but do to lot coverage requirements we will need to change the size of deck to 18 feet by 32 inches. With the deck change the deck may not be wide enough to cover both of the sliding glass doors completetly. The deck will be wide enough to allow people to exit/enter easily. With only one side of the door attached to he deck look silly?? (deck is about 60 inches above grade) Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the layout completely, but are you saying there are 2 sets of sliders, and the distance from the outside edge of one to the outside edge of the other is more than 18 feet, and you want to put an 18-foot landing of sorts in front of them? So the landing would stop short of the outside edge of one of the doors?

If so, that would look odd. Why can't you make it go all the way to the ends of the doors? Can you post a sketch of the plans?

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 8:23PM
weezee

We have two sliders exiting the rear of the house. Each slider had an 8' wide by 3' deep landing with a set of stairs. Since the construction has begun it appears that entry into the yard may be impeded by one of the stairs. We had received a lot coverage variance and thus are unable to increase the size of the landing without applying for a new variance. The landings are approved to be 24 sq ft each, as long we dont exceed 48 sq ft we are good. The space between the two sliders is 12 feet, each slider is 5 feet. We are contemplating have a singular landing of 18 feet wide by 32 inch. This landing would have a steps in the middle, be wide enough to cover the openings in doors, and would not require a new variance. Hope this helps thanks.
****door**********door****
______**************
______**************
__________****
__________****

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 11:34PM
weedyacres

I'm afraid I'd vote for "odd looking" on your proposed layout. As painful (expensive? time consuming?) as it might be, I'd apply for another variance. I think that would be better than living with an odd looking landing.

Or here's another idea: could you put the landings back at 8 feet in front of each door and then have the stairs go towards the center of the house (towards each other) for one or two steps, then join together in a common landing and the rest of the steps go down into the yard?
****dooor************dooor****
___LLLLLLLLSSLLLLSSLLLLLLLL___
_____________SSSS
_____________SSSS

L=landing, S=step

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHFH3-C4120 Brass Kitchen Drinking Water Dispenser
$289.00 | Blue Bath
Easy-to-Maintain Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Courtyard Anthracite/ Beige Rug with C
Overstock.com
Atomic Alarm Clock - 13131A3
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Lotus Zinc Garden Torch with Trellis Floor Stand - Weathered Zinc
Signature Hardware
VIGO Walnut Shell Glass Vessel Sink and Faucet Set in Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Atlantis Tubs 4270PAL Petite 42 x 70 x 23 - Inch Oval Air Jetted Bathtub w/ Left
Beyond Stores
Americh Zollie 7242 Whisper Bathtub (72" x 42" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Isabet 'T' Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™