remodelling deck

dgmarieOctober 30, 2010

Our home was built with a deck made of pressure treated lumber. Somewhere along the way, someone decided to stain it. Of course, after a year, the stain wears completely off. Since we get tons of snow, and a hot tub is set into the deck, we shovel the deck every winter. With each shovel, off comes the stain.

Otherwise, the lumber is like new, just doesn't hold a stain.

Is it possible to pressure wash the stain completely off?

If we replace just the deck boards and not all the supporting materials underneath (which are fine really--deck is only about 12 yrs old and otherwise well constructed), what is the best wood choice for a cold Chicago area? I don't mind maintenance on a deck, just not every year having to restain it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deck.builder

Do not use a pressure wash on a pt deck. The high pressure will rip the grain from the boards causing you more issues. I am not an expert on cleaning materials for pt decking, but im sure someone else can chime in for that.

As for recommendations of woods to use. Check out Ipe, Tigerwood, & Cumaru. Those are my 3 favorites when compairing looks (which is obviously personal preference) and stability.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™