Support Post Problems With an Old Deck

nerdyshopperOctober 2, 2013

The deck on our home was built for the previous owner. After over 10 years a contractor pointed out to me that the cover slats were buried in the soil under the deck. So fearing termite problems I had part to them removed to be cut shorter and then just had the rest cut off in place with a sabre saw. Then we found the deck posts were also buried in the dirt. I want to dig them out and put in cement blocks precast with metal deck post supports built in. But I don't know how to prevent them from sinking in from compacted dirt under them. Is there an easy way to do this repair that I haven't thought of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

Is this a ground level deck? Because if not, assuming I understand what you're referring to, you can't use those precast blocks in place of an actual footer.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 6:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

Some areas it was common to bury the posts, with a concrete footer below the frost line. However, the building department in this area required you to use .40 CCA (ground contact), instead of the .25 (above ground). CCA is no longer available to the general public. It was replaced by ACQ, which I'm not at all familiar with.

Being your deck is 10 years old, no doubt it was CCA. Any concern would be if it has .40 retention. No way of telling, unless you can find a tag with .40 on the posts. However, they normally tag them on the ends.

I think maybe you're getting a little OCD about the posts. I'd just sleep easy and forget about it, unless there's something besides a contractor that is shaking you up.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Sponsored Products
Arch Flex Full 14" Silver Platform Frame with Headboard
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting 93-9248 Bleached Wood Post Lamp - 93-9248
$158.00 | Hayneedle
Hunter Ceiling Fans Builder Deluxe 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 53090
Home Depot
Baltimore Orioles Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Palermo Backed Outdoor Bar Stool Cushion, Patio Furniture
$89.00 | FRONTGATE