Building Deck Swing

asdf123October 14, 2010

I am looking for some advice on building a swing to go with the deck (which was done using pressure treated).

My design plan, which is pretty basic, is to take about 4 2x6's and cut them out to form the seat and backrest, and run planks across. The problem is finding wood to use for the planks.

I was thinking of using pressure treated boards that are about 4" wide by 5 feet long. I looked at 1x4 boards but they seem too thin, and 2x4 boards but they seem too thick. 5/4 deck boards seem like a good thickness but I can't find any that are 4" wide, only 6" wide.

One lumber place had 5/4 and 4/4 in Ipe and Brazilian Redwood that is 3" and 4" wide, but it is a little expensive plus I don't know how it would look mixed with the existing pressure treated deck. Also, doing some reading it seems like cupping is an issue with these types of wood.

Would this be good wood to use or should I go for something else? Alternatively, if anybody has other design ideas for the swing, it would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"I can't find any that are 4" wide, only 6" wide. "

Just rip them to the width you want.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™