Front entrance question

p3arljamOctober 10, 2012

This is a photo of my covered front door entrance. During the warm months i have a serious problem with spiders and other bugs all over the the entrance. I use a broom to clean them away but 2 days later its a mess again. This is also my first time owning a house with vinyl siding and here is my question. I would like to put another door(screen or glass) flush with the opening of the entrance way to keep the bugs out but i am not sure how i would go about attaching it to the vinyl siding any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zver11

Doors do not attach to siding and should not be attached through siding. If needed, Siding is cut out at attachment point and a proper wood frame is built attaching to the house. Most common attachment for a storm door or screen door is direct attachment to the preexisting door frame. These stick out in front of the door frame and avoid having to deal with siding since attached to existing surface wood.

Alternative and less formal is to get one of the rolled up screen doors that only need to attach to one side and latch to the other. Still need to cutout siding on attachment side and put molding (similar to what there is around window frames around the sides of the place where the door attaches to the house frame.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™