Does anyone have a sun/screen porch?

lavender_lassOctober 9, 2009

I have always wanted a glass porch with screens. I am remodeling an old farmhouse and want to turn the current porch into a laundry/mudroom and put a new porch 23' x 10' on the back. I would like to have a glass porch, where the windows open with screens for the summer, but can be used in the fall and spring as well (zone 4). I was thinking about putting in electric baseboard heat on a separate thermostat, just in case I want to use it in the colder months, or for special occasions.

It's the only place with a really good view of the back of our farm and the horses, which I love and it's a big enough porch to use for a dining area when necessary, since the kitchen will have a corner banquette with table and two chairs. I thought I'd rather have the porch, than a separate dining room and eat-in kitchen.

Any suggestions or pictures? What about floor and ceiling ideas? It would have to be durable in the summer when the screens are open. Thanks for the input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amazinggracie

we too, live in an old farmhouse in zone 4 and are putting on a sun porch basically made up of 6 ft Pella sliding french doors with screens and will be surrounded by decking. we were able to purchase the doors (posted on craigslist) used from a apartment building replacing their balcony doors so they were only $200.00 each. we also bought a 10ft sliding french door for the main exit to the deck and main yard. So we will have 2 6 ft sections on each end and the 10fter with a full size window flanking each side, opposite the entrance of the house. we are planning tile floor with a floor drain on the south wall so that we can keep all of our house and tropical patio plants. there is a better homes and gardens magazine : PORCH & SUNROOM PLANNER available at the home centers( got mine at menards for $14.00)that has alot of nice ideas and pictures. There is one sun porch on page 48 that is base on the look of a grain silo and has a metal roof, very country looking and then on page 58 they show a nice way to complete the ceiling with cedar tongue and groove to hide the electric wire and allow the ceiling to be vaulted. hope this helps and I will post finished pics

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 3:32PM
lavender_lass

Thanks for the information! I've been trying to figure out how to get this porch to look the way I imagine it in my head. Pictures will be a huge help.

What a good deal on the Pella french doors. It sounds like your porch is going to be beautiful! That's a great idea to put a drain in the floor for the plants. Hope you post pics when you're finished :)

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 12:24AM
amazinggracie

To help plan our two additions, the new sunroom on one side of the house and a new dining room addition on the other as well as our kitchen remodel I downloaded from IKEA their free kitchen planner program. You can visually see what you want to create. You have a screen to set up the room size, place windows of any size and doors whereever you want. It really helped me to physically see what my mind's eye was imagining

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 7:54AM
lavender_lass

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info :)

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Sponsored Products
Dark Gold Handwoven Wool Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Shires Equestrian Jointed Rubber Mouth Pelham Bit - 609-4.5
$41.99 | Hayneedle
3 Pc. Set of Birds Nests
| Dot & Bo
TRIBECCA HOME Nova Black Saddle Cushioned Seat 24-inch Barstools
Overstock.com
Denby Imperial Blue Oven to Table Curved Casserole - OTI-588
$72.00 | Hayneedle