Many thanks from a lurker....

kiddo_1October 24, 2009

I have lurked on this forum all summer and just wanted to say thanks for all your interesting and informative threads. I've read a lot of deck adventures, successes as well as pitfalls. I would not have been able to make informed decisions about wood preservative, etc. had not I visited here.

Here is a link to give you a peek at how my arbor rebuild turned out.

Meanwhile...back to lurking. ;-D

Kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

I am a twp fan but never used the 200 series,intersting.

I have to say Mel,you total lucked out with the Craig pretty good deal.

I am not a big fan of the recycle thing, that is being used on the same project even if the wood can be resurfaced its still as old as it is. On the flip side I save a lot of torn out decking in fact I framed both of the roofs of my shop out of used pt 2x6.

I think you done good Girl!!! Be sure and keep up on the finish Good Job. Jhon Mon

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 7:39PM
weedyacres

Go kiddo!

I enjoyed reading the details of your rebuild, and was impressed at how you reused/recycled everything, and your fixes for the hinged gutter access and poor original construction. I can't believe someone nailed a ledger board to brick! Wow....

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 10:32PM
kiddo_1

Thanks, weedy... Yeah, it sure was an adventure. A lot of work, but turned out well. Next year I really do think I'll flip the deck planks. I'm sure that there will be more 'original' surprises underneath. Got $ says we'll be having to anchor the underneath ledger board too. And from what I can determine about the piers...well, just wish me luck. I'm going to need it. LOL
Kris

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 6:55AM
kiddo_1

John - Thanks! As for the wood, I'm not worried - it is sound and should now last even longer with the preservative on it. Thing is with TWP is that you can't put it on 'thick'. When the wood stops sucking it up the extra stuff just lays on top and you have to dry-brush it off.

Sure, probably there were more 'coulda-shoulda' steps bypassed, but I didn't want to make a career out of that arbor. There is only so much me to go around. LOL
Kris

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™