Open second-story deck over wrap-around porch???

tx_music_galOctober 14, 2007

I posted this question on the home-building forum but thought it might be a good idea to post it here as well.

Has anyone out there ever built an open deck over a wrap-around porch? The link below shows what I mean.

I'm in LOVE with the look of the deck/porch combo and want have something similar but am concerned about a couple of things?

1) Support issues? Can one really cantilever a deck as big as the upper deck shown on this plan - which looks to be at least 12' X 15' - or do the porch posts help to support the deck somehow?

2) Drainage issues? How does one keep water from pooling on the upper deck and rotting it out? How difficult is it to keep water from leaking to the porch below?

Would love to talk to someone who has built this plan or something very similar to find out how it has worked out.

Here is a link that might be useful: eplans.com showing what I mean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

I dont see any cantilever going on, the whole project could/probley was framed with good bearing and joists span.

The best way I have found to do a project like that>>install a torch down modified roof with all needed flashing lay pr stringers in the direction of the flow screw the decking to the stringers. John

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Travertine medallion on porch
Hello We had water stained our concrete porch but the...
Rigbyblue
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™