New to DE and need help

sassvoorJune 10, 2011

This season I purchased a new EC40 filter for our 18' pool.

This spring we had a great deal of rain in NY. Currently the chlorine is high and the Ph around 6.8. Our water is bright green so the pool store suggested a black algicide. My problem is that the water flow drops off as the pressure climbs per the Hayward Perflex instruction sheet to the point

that I only get four hours run time from the 4Lb. DE charge before I have to dump(two bump cycles in the four) it. Because of that I am afraid to let it run 24/7. Is this to be expected? Is it safe to cut back on the amount of DE? When I drain the filter the DE comes out in green globs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyom

Cant help with the DE issue.
If you have a cholorine pool, I say forget pool store algae crap. Use Chlorine to the kill the algae.

Read this. http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html
If you follow that guide, algae will be history.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 6:36PM
bosox1086

What goyom said. Head to troublefreepool.com. It'll be the best decision you ever make. You need to use chlorine to kill the algae. Algecide is ok to prevent algae but won't get rid of it once it is there.

And yes, you'll be backwashing often at first as the algae dies off. Once you get it to shock level and keep it there though, the algae will be dead and the constant backwashing will stop.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:27PM
sassvoor

Thank you. I learned a lot from the article. I almost wish I had stayed with sand as I do not want to be bumping the filter at 3am but one learns.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 9:54AM
muddy_water

Can you see the bottom of this pool?

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 5:48PM
sassvoor

No, currently unable to see bottom of pool. Only have to dump DE twice in my 16 hour run cycle and only bumping twice in each 8 hour shift. Water is appearing better around edges. Saw net down 3 feet. I just did not realize DE took so long.
Also at first it came out of the filter as a slurry. Now it comes out in clumps.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 5:31PM
muddy_water

It sounds like whatever they had you put in your pool has clogged the grids. Try removing the grids and hose them off and then recoat with DE as soon as you start the pump.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
Sponsored Products
Big Apple Splash Art Print
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Hand-tufted Vibes Pattern Wool Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Bedroom Table Lamps Green Leaf Ceramic with Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Basket Table Lamp by Dform Design
$308.00 | Lumens
Fleur De Lis Tapestry Bracket
Signature Hardware
Cassara Buffet Cover
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™