For Ones have Mega Quilter

stitcheasy2003February 12, 2011

Hello

I have the Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter. In the User's Guide book, Page 13. "Presser Foot Pressure Dial". It says For regular sewing set the pressure to 3. Set the pressure to "0" for free motion.

Q1: What is consider regular sewing?

Q2: What do you set your dial for quilting? free motion is 0.

Q3: Did anyone buy the walking foot with the machine?

I did, I was wondering afterwards if I really needed it.

Q4: Would the regular foot that comes with the machine do the job of quilting the quilts?

I am going to make rag quilts, quilt as you go quilts, quilting oven mitts. etc. Thank you B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifer_in_va

I don't have this machine, but here're my thoughts on your situation.... Sort of standard answers I think regardless of the machine.

Q1: What is consider regular sewing?
A1: I would consider 'regular sewing' to be clothing & piecing...two layers of regular fabric.

Q2: What do you set your dial for quilting? free motion is 0.
A2: If free motion is a 0 setting, and normal sewing is a 3, then if I were doing a quilt sandwich I would try a 4 or 5 and see if everything moves together well.

Q3: Did anyone buy the walking foot with the machine?
I did, I was wondering afterwards if I really needed it.
A3: A walking foot will help keep all the layers of a quilt sandwich moving together without shifting, regardless of the pressure on the foot.

Q4: Would the regular foot that comes with the machine do the job of quilting the quilts?
A4: A regular foot can work for quilting a sandwich (I used one for years!) but I would still use a walking foot if I had one.

Jennifer

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 11:57AM
K8Orlando

I agree with everything Jennifer said. Good answers.

I use a walking foot when quilting and would recommend it. Start out with your pressure at 3 for quilting, then increase it if it doesn't seem to work well.

For free motion quilting, you need what's usually called a darning foot that lifts the whole foot off the quilt between stitches so you can freely move the quilt around under the needle.

Hope that helps!
Kate

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 2:36PM
fran1523

You will find that walkng foot very handy for quilting any kind of straight line patterns, but don't try to use it for free motion.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Free Zelda Quilt Along to start soon
http://www.quiltinglinda.com/category-quilting/2015/02/16/free-zelda-quilt-along/ For...
lindaoh_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™