TWP Color Recommendations for Ipe?

galanwarnerOctober 5, 2011

I'm going to be finishing my ipe deck, first stripping off an old coat of clear sealer that looks awful and then applying brightener, both with Restore-a-Deck. I plan to use TWP for the preservative, and I've seen recommendations of TWP116 for the shade, but I've also seen warnings that it can be too red for some people's taste. I'm concerned about that because the porch has ipe for its deck, but it also has a beam structure above it and shingles around it that are stained brown. I'm concerned about the deck of it being too red and clashing with the beams and shingles. Any thoughts/recommendations on other TWP shades that may give the ipe a browner look while still showing off the grain? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Using the 100 series a mixture of cedar tone natural and dark oak two parts dark oak three parts cedar tone makes for a nice brown color.

JonMon

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 5:25PM
galanwarner

Thanks, John! Much appreciated.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 5:43PM
weedyacres

Or just straight-up dark oak. That's what I used with my garapa and it turned out a beautiful non-red brown.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 6:25PM
galanwarner

Thanks, Weedy! So you're talking about the TWP 103, I assume? And with it that dark, it still shows the grain okay?

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 6:36PM
weedyacres

You be the judge....

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 7:16PM
galanwarner

Awesome, Weedy, thanks for sharing! Now, is a second coat the difference between the background and left-foreground sections? The back one appears so much darker, or was that just the way it appears in the light? If the back had a second coat, how long was it in between? Anyway, it looks terrific -- that rich, rich brown. Beautiful work. I'd be thrilled to see whatever other pics you may be willing to share that depict the color/tone well. Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 7:29PM
weedyacres

Yep, clockwise from lower right: bare, one coat, two coats (same day application: wet on wet).

A couple more:

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 9:07PM
galanwarner

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 10:15PM
john_hyatt

Nice to see your work again Weed.

One thing that is Garapa not ipe so it started out much lighter than ipe. Just a thought.

John

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 6:53AM
galanwarner

Ah, I wondered about that, in looking at the unfinished portions in the pics. So I can assume my ipe would turn out darker then.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 9:44AM
galanwarner

John, you've talked about wet-on-wet application, and Weedy, I believe that's what you said you did as well. What's the proper way to do that? How long should I generally wait between coats if that's what I want to do (understanding the weather can play a role)?

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 8:04PM
john_hyatt

The second coat can go on when the first coat is dry enough to walk on. It's the same as any other coats you put on. The more coats the longer it takes to set up.

There is no time period, it can be an hour or a year.
J.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 6:27AM
weedyacres

The directions on the paint can say do it 15 minutes later, and I did them right after each other on the original stain.

I'm doing a re-coat now (2 years after original) and did one coat Monday and will do 2nd coat tomorrow. Not real happy with how it's turning out so far, but won't hijack your thread to ask about that.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 6:22PM
galanwarner

This is interesting to see, good information. So, Weed, you're saying that what you put on two years ago was TWP as well? One reason I'm still thinking about going lighter is that things like shoe tracks shouldn't be as noticeable, so I wouldn't feel compelled to mop it as often.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 7:04PM
weedyacres

I did TWP on the decking and One Time on the pergola. An interesting thing about the TWP was that the footprint dirt didn't really wash off. When it rained, the deck was absolutely beautiful. But when it was dry it looked like it needed to be hosed off. Not horrible, but just a little scuffy. Don't know if my description is helping any, but I didn't take any close-up pics to illustrate.

I just posted new pics in my "2 years later" post. Would appreciate help there.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 8:11PM
galanwarner

Well, the TWP question was settled by the fact that they don't ship to California ... so that's out.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 10:17AM
john_hyatt

Cal wont allow shipement of the 100 series however the water base twp Storm Shield can be sent any place in the world.
J.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 4:06PM
galanwarner

Thank, John. Do you feel it handles ipe as well as the 100 Series or other alternatives?

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
Any experience with aluminum decking?
We're considering one of the watertight aluminum decking...
dmnmnky
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Sponsored Products
Campania International Rustic Palazzo Urn Cast Stone Planter - P-629-AL
$449.99 | Hayneedle
Comfort Mats: Rhino Anti-Fatigue Mats Safety Supplies Soft Woods Walnut 36 in.
Home Depot
Triple Fish Ornament
$8.99 | zulily
Lagoon 9' Umbrella Canopy
Cost Plus World Market
Coloful Sandals 10-Light String of Party Lights
$14.99 | Lamps Plus
WW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Grande Hotel Flat Sheet
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Handmade Mahal Ivory/ Rust New Zealand Wool Runner (2'6 x 14')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™