Year old deck

Chugbug57October 11, 2011

Last year had a 16 X 28 PT deck built. At the time I was told to let the wood dry and stain it 12 months later, which I've found from this forum was wrong. I'd like to get it stained now before winter but not sure if this is the best time, this late in the season....central Ohio, temps are going to get into the 50's next week with nights in the mid 30's. Should I just wait until spring now?? I'm going to use either the TWP or Ready Seal not sure which yet, I've heard both products are good. Also I just up up PT railings how long should I wait to stain them. I'm new to wood decks, so just starting to learn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Do not wait for anything to put the finish on Any outdoor project but good weather.

I can not belive that wait for months thing is still being passed around. It was proven wrong at least 15 years ago. Ghessssssssssssssss.

Dont take this wrong... With PT lumber it hardley matters the finish is for looks it wont keep that lumber from doing what pt lumber has to do exposed to the sun.

J.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 6:31PM
Chugbug57

Thanks John, not takin anything wrong, any advise is welcome!! Is it worth the money to put TWP or RS on it then, maybe look for something else more local?? Any suggestions you have John would be appreciated. I was afraid with the temps getting low it will not set up right.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 7:26PM
john_hyatt

Depending on your local weather, it might be better to wait for the spring. Although cool is better than hot.

If your bound to put the finish on soon,twp water base,Storm Shield, can be put on under those temps. Great product down side it sets up real quick

J.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 7:55PM
Chugbug57

Thanks, I think I'm going to go ahead and order the stain and see what the weather does if the weather does not cooperate I'll wait until spring, When the weather breaks I'll give it a good clean and apply brightner again. I'm planning on replace the deck boards within the next 5-6 years or sooner if I have to.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Bad Caulk Job- Need Advise
We had some structural work done to our front patio....
Vanessa Abbey
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
Sponsored Products
Budweiser Metro Picnic Basket
$34.99 | zulily
Tay Tay Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Amber Matte Glass
$441.00 | Bellacor
Mahogany Bronze Whitehaus WHFH-H4540 Kitchen Hot Water Dispenser
$249.00 | Blue Bath
Twiggy Hinged D1 Lens 1 Inch Rectangle Canopy Vanity Wall
Lightology
Funiculi Task Lamp - Marset
$310.00 | HORNE
Whitehaus Collection Aeri 21.75W x 21.75H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet WHA
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™