crosspost from flooring-for unheated sunporch over heated bsmt?

scrappy25October 27, 2012

I posted this in Flooring, but realized that it might be more appropriate here.

I am adding an unheated "sunporch" with vinyl windows that are easily converted to a screened porch (easily removeable windows). This will be over a heated basement area. I don't envision water getting on the floor in this design. Would porcelain tile flooring be the way to go and would and special membranes need to be laid underneath to ensure stability? I was also thinking of a floating luxury vinyl as I have read that there has been some success with that in unheated vacation homes. Any suggestions or experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb

If tile is your flooring of ultimate choice, an underlayment is necessary. I would recommend this product from Schulter:

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

I have done many installs, never an issue.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 12:41PM
scrappy25

thank you. can you explain to me why ditra is important in this application is it for waterproofing or movement? How much does it add per sf for materials and installation?

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 8:17PM
tjdabomb

Ditra is mainly used to mediate the possible movement of tile which could result in cracking and failures. Basically, it is a de-coupling membrane. Ditra, when used with its sister product Kerdi, would provide a water proof membrane structure. This is accomplished by installing the ditra and then overlapping the joints by 3".

I don't work for Schluter, by the way. :) I have used it in over 20 bathroom and kitchen installs and have never had an issue.

Read more here: http://www.schluter.com/2080.aspx

Prices vary, but, I find it indispensable when I consider my "peace of mind" in finished installations. It's not cheap, but, I wouldn't do a job without it.

Now, given the fact that you don't expect and water to get on the floor, adding the kerdi for waterproofing purposes is probably unnecessary.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 1:12AM
scrappy25

ok, got it, thank you! great advice, appreciate it.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™