Annoying bird poop in pool area.....Solution?

kahbearJune 16, 2008

I have been having a bird poop problem around my pool area. The birds are flying over the pool and pooping all over the patio and in the pool. They are eating these dark purple berries from Ivy and thus their poops are dark purple. The other day I went out there and the patio area was covered in this stuff. I hosed it all down and got it clean only to have it bombarded again a few hours later. So quite accidentally I think I hit upon a solution! We were having company over the weekend and for decoration I blew up a very large inflatable alligator and turtle. These two inflatables have quite menacing faces and the wind blows them around the pool randomly. No birds or poop since!!!!!! I hope this continues to work. They also scare my two dogs who stand at the waters edge and bark and growl at them. It's too funny!

Kurt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ga_mom

Thanks! I'll have to keep your solution in mind in case I end up with that problem! Glad you found something that works!

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 10:08PM
coniferfreak

Thanks so much for posting this! Our new pool is scheduled to be done in the next week or two, and I am already seeing the same problem on our brand new concrete decking. There is a nearby mulberry tree that the birds just love and are dropping purple all over the place! I will have to search for an alligator! :) Could you possibly post a pic of what it looks like? Thanks! Laura

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 11:28PM
kahbear

Go to Pooltoys.com they have the turtle and alligator listed under inflatable animals. They are pretty large.

Kurt

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 11:37PM
barco

This is what you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: End Bird Poop

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 11:20AM
tresw

Hilarious!! I've never seen that before, but did a quick search and apparently it's called the "Scarecrow" (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 12:05PM
barco

Yeh, I created one of those for my front yard about 15 years ago to keep the dogs and cats off...it actually turned on the entire sprinkler zone and also had a switch for a buzzer to go off if I wanted to as well. I city inspector who inspected my electrical had a grin on but I could tell he thought I was nuts.

I guess I should have patented the idea.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 12:28PM
jimtnc

kahbear - in case those inflatibles stop working, a hotel I went to every summer had a pool very close to the ocean...within 100 yards or less. They actually had thin guy wires that stretched from the third level from different positions across the pool to a pole that was fixed to the pool house on the other side of the pool. They had a lot of fly-bys from the seagulls, but I never saw any mess around the many years I went there, and believe me, seagulls can make a huge mess very quickly.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 1:15PM
kahbear

Thanks for all the other suggestions.......I was hoping not to have to hook up the scarecrow on the patio. But if that's what I have to do I will. jimtnc, I've actually heard of people stringing those lines up and thwarting the birds that way. We will se how long before they aren't afraid of the inflatables anymore. Hopefully the berries will be all eaten here before too long.

Kurt

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
Diaphragm in Barracuda cleaners keeps getting torn
We have second home in FL with pool built in late 70s'==like...
loves2read
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™