What Sizes of Bias Makers do I Need?

stitcheasy2003February 8, 2011

Hello

How do you know what size to get:

What size makes a half inch double fold? What size makes an one inch double fold?

Clover Bias makers come in 5 sizes. non fusible ones. 6mm (1/4");12mm (1/2");18mm (3/4");

25mm (1");50mm (2").

Thank you B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_c_gw

I never use them. I always use the french-fold method of binding, which the Clover makers can't do.

I cut my binding strips, seam them, press in half, stitch the raw edges to one side, hand stitch to the other. The size I cut the strip depends on the binding size I want. I prefer a 3/8" finished binding (quilt judges do not prefer this), so I cut my strips 3", and press in half.

There isn't any way I'd try to run doubled strips through a tape maker.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 9:57PM
teresa_nc7

I would guess the size you need depends on the application you need bias strips for? The only time I would make bias strips for a quilt binding would be if I were doing a scalloped edge on the quilt. For regular straight quilt edges, you don't need a binding cut on the bias, although there may be some quilters who only use a bias binding.

My bindings are cut 2 1/2" and made as Mary described.

If you need a bias binding for something other than a quilt binding, then you would need to get the size maker that would give you the size bias strip called for.

Teresa

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 6:49AM
barbara_l

I also do not use a bias tape maker for the same reasons given. I also make my binding as Mary and Teresa do, but over the years I adjusted to do mine using 2 inch strips. I think you need to work with this and find which is best for you and go from there.
Barbara

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 7:40AM
toolgranny

I use a bias tape maker for Celtic designs and prefer 3/8".

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 20-22
I have been cross-stitching a birdhouse bookmark for...
quiltingfox
Free Zelda Quilt Along to start soon
http://www.quiltinglinda.com/category-quilting/2015/02/16/free-zelda-quilt-along/ For...
lindaoh_gw
Oh my!
Switching over to Houzz very challenging! I sure hope...
nannykins
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
New needle problem
So yesterday I was just sewing along on my Janome and...
grammyp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™