Mount light at 45 degree angle in skylight

oldbat2beMarch 11, 2013

I am looking for help and advice regarding how to mount a light at a 45 degree angle.

We have a skylight above our kitchen prep island area and would like to mount a light up here to light our prep area.

Unfortunately, with white cabinets and white countertops, there's a lot of white already.

We've tried two LED solutions (Philips Luderno 2-light and 3 light directional spotlights) but found they did not dim sufficiently (even with uber expensive ELV dimmer as spec'd).

In proximity of the same area, we have the Varaluz Fascination light over our breakfast table (love it).

We have just received the Varaluz 2 light bathroom sconce and would like to mount it at a 45 degree angle, so that the lights do not shine directly into the eyes of the prep area staff. The fixture will be mounted approximately 6' above the island countertop.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be very much appreciate; DH is most handly.

Here's the light held up at the normal mounting angle (against different wall):

Here it is held at the desired 45 degree angle (though not at height at which it would be mounted):

And here is a closeup of the backside of the light - please ignore wine glass to the left, added only for help in determining scale :)

Looking for advice on how to mount the light at a 45% angle above the prep area. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

xposted in lighting forum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedles

What about a wedge shaped piece of wood cut to the correct angle and then mounted on the wall up there and painted white to match the walls? Cut a hole in the wedge for the electrical box to mount in. Wouldn't that work?

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:28PM
oldbat2be

Thanks Deedles, DH has suggested that one too, may well be the solution with which we go. Best, oldbat2be

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:43PM
marcolo

There are special mounting blocks made for exterior sconces that attach to angled surfaces, ie shingles or clapboards. Mounted to a perpendicular surface, the would hold the light at an angle. I forget the name but any electrician would know.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Reviews for 'Steel' Ascot freestanding ovens
Hi, does anyone have the above Italian made range in...
suenuts
My two tone kitchen reveal sans backsplash
My kitchen is finally finished! Well, except for the...
fishymom
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
motok1w
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Sponsored Products
Atwood Four-Light Oiled Bronze with Antique Gold Convertible Semi-Flush
$139.00 | Bellacor
MR16 Gimbal Ring 3 Light Low Voltage Track Kit by SATCO Lighting
$140.85 | Lumens
Beckett Table Lamp
Grandin Road
Lithonia Lighting Lighting Switches LED Troffer Dimmer Switch White ISD BC
$99.97 | Home Depot
Black Case Pillar Lantern
$128.99 | zulily