Bugs & Floor of Screen Porch?

les_baileyOctober 27, 2010

Hello. We're planning a new construction in the Mid-Atlantic region (VA), and plan to have a wonderful screened porch on the back off the family room. Woods & pastures are nearby, so am sure we'll have lots of mosquitoes & such trying to worm their way in.

Plans for the floor specify "composite decking", which make sense as the floor will be maybe 3' off ground level. Never having had the luxury of planning something like this, I'd like to catch any issues in the planning stage of course.

DH and I are wondering - will mosquitoes seek us out and be able to come up under the deck, through the decking board spaces for us? If Yes, and if you have experience with a solution, please share. Just seems like having a floor full of spaces kinda defeats the point of having the screen.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

I really hate mosquitoes !

With out some kind of protection the little dickens will deffentley get in thru the gaps required by composite decking.

The protection could be solid skirting with screen vents installed to provide cross ventalation also required for any decking. J.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™