Paint on composite decking

tiptoptommytOctober 5, 2013

Folks - I have a composite deck and was painting an area near the deck and somehow managed to get some paint splatter on the deck....didn't notice until it was dry. What an idiot!

Now I'm trying to remove it. Took one of the plastic/nylon wirey scrubbers and it worked some...but lightened the area which is kind of obvious. Tried a touch of mineral spirits which had no affect on anything.

I'm at a loss....really paying for my mistake!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

Did you use latex paint? Goof Off will remove dried latex paint, but I'd test it first to make sure it doesn't stain or remove color from your deck.
I've read where others have used Krud Kutter with success.

Don't do any more aggressive scrubbing..........

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 5:32PM
tiptoptommyt

Thanks for that suggestion....I'll give it a try.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 10:48PM
craig1721

try these steps for either vinyl siding or decking (as I did)

*latex paint -
when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean, should be now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 16:08

Bookmark   October 18, 2014 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™