ballpark quote for deck refinish

homeboundOctober 17, 2012

I'm a handyman and got a referral from a good client one of their friends for a deck refinish job. I do one or two of these a year, so it's not my main gig.

Anyhow, they thought my quote was too high and I'm wondering how off-base I was. Any thoughts appreciated.

First floor raised deck, 8 x 20, pressure-treated and 6 steps (4' wide) that was previously stained with cedar or redwood semi-transparent. Condition average (not too much splitting). My plan was to use deck cleaner + pw (no stripping), and then two coats of a Sikkens semi-solid in similar color.

I quoted $750 including supplied materials. Fair or not? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

That seems a bit low to me. You'll have 3 trips to do the job right, right? After you pay a helper [if you have one] that doesn't leave much left over.
What is their frame of reference for that "too low" comment? Other quotes? I doubt it.
if they go to the garage to get their car serviced, ask them to check the hourly rate. I'll be yours compares nicely.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Thanks. Yes, multiple trips: two, possibly three depending on the weather.

She says she had it done before "for less", but no idea by whom or how much.

Anyway, I stopped by for a follow-up on some other work and it's becoming quite clear she's just a nickel and dimer. One week ago I gave her a quote for a crew to clean up her yard, trim branches, and pull english ivy off the house (overgrown to the second floor). Instead she decided to find folks on craigslist and guess what? It's a week later and these folks are still putzing around in the yard. The total outlay must be over my $1000 by now and it's still not finished. So there you have it.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™