Picking a Color for Concrete

aloha2009September 25, 2012

Though I like some of the dark tans/light browns on the swatches, I've NEVER seen one around town. Could it be that I've never noticed anything besides colors in the red family? Does this have to do with how the sun brings out the red? Does it have to do with how the chemicals react over time? I can't believe everyone picks red as the color of choice if you're coloring concrete.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helgromite

I chose a nice dark brown for a slab in my backyard and it matched the color card perfectly coming from the cement truck. Within a couple weeks after drying and weathering it turned that pink color you are referring to. This was using Davis colors. I have seen some brown concrete driveways in my neighborhood that stayed that way. They have more of a glossy finish, so I guess its possible. Not following the mix ratio can dramatically change the color as well.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 7:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

THANKS SO MUCH!!! You saved me $1000 and having to live with pink concrete.

We ended up cancelling the coloring per your confirmation on the pinking. We too were going to use Davis colors. I'd rather have grey concrete opposed to pink.

As they are pouring our concrete, a neighbor who painted his concrete after the fact 8 years ago, came over and said his turned out great. Only peeled on one 2" strip, otherwise great. We'll definitely get the scoop on what exactly to do (and not do, since he seems to know he had the little bit of peeling).

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™