Ipe board scalloping

eden_maSeptember 11, 2009

Hi all,

I just received my shipment of Ipe 5/4x6 from a local yard and many of the boards have 1" scalloping of varying depths - about 1/32" to 3/32" - running along the width, every 3 feet or so. It's like a repeating pattern, so I assume this is from a planer. It's similar to the scalloping on oak flooring that is sanded out when finished. Is this normal for Ipe? In all other respects, the boards look good.

Thanks

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Some Folks would complain if they got hung with a brand new rope. J.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 5:18PM
weedyacres

Can you post a close-up photo?

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 10:39PM
eden_ma

Here is a close up shot. If these marks are par for the course (are they?), then should they sand out OK with an ROS with 60 grit?

Thanks,

Bill

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 12:59PM
sweet11395

eden,
hard to tell from the small pic but I don't think this is from a planer but rather from the metal banding they use to secure the bails of IPE which during shipment rub up against the board and cause this well defined band....I had a few and sanded them right out.

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 10:17AM
eden_ma

Thanks for your responses. There are so many marks, that we'll go ahead and sand the whole deck.

Am now getting ready to buy TWP. Can't seem to find it locally. John - do you have any pictures on your website of the Dark Oak/Cedartone mix that you've written about? Sweet - how is your TWP finish holding up (ran across your old posts on this today).

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 8:46PM
john_hyatt

TWP 100 series is a build coat finish the Co recomends wet on wet or the second coat on right away. I have gone beyond that. Corectley done a twp outdoor finish will last 3-5 years and will never have to be striped down.

A 2 part dark oak/3 part cedartone natural twp mix will provide a brown color. TWP dark oak has a lot of solids using it will require a learning curve compaired with cedartone natural by itself. J.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 8:39AM
deckman22

Those look like marks made by the sticks used to air dry the bundles of ipe lumber. The metal bands usually leave rust stains. Both will sand out easily.

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 8:44AM
weedyacres

I couldn't find TWP retailer within 100 miles of me, even though there were half a dozen listed on the Amteco web site. I called them all and no one seemed to even have heard of it, and Amteco was clueless. I bought mine from mfgsealants.com, which ships out of Atlanta. Their price was slightly lower than other internet vendors and had free shipping if you order 2 or more gallons. It arrived about 1 week after order.

We ended up falling in love with how Dark Oak looks on garapa (might even pass for ipe :-)). I'll post photos in my "big ol' garapa deck" thread tomorrow with the requisite updates.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 8:48PM
eden_ma

Weedy,

Looking forward to seeing your latest pictures with the TWP Dark Oak. Saw the mfgsealants website, and may use them as well. Just for clarification, you sanded first, then did your cleaning and brightening, right? I don't know if the order matters.

Thanks,
Eden

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™