It started with the rug...

K8OrlandoJanuary 11, 2014

So, it sort of started with the rug. Although you could say it started with Christmas, or rather, taking down the Christmas decorations. Or maybe it even started with the little jelly roll.

After taking down the Holiday decorations on the front door, I felt like it looked plain and kind of sad. So when I saw the cheerful aqua and white indoor/outdoor rug at Target on Thursday I bought it. It didn't seem like quite enough so I took one of the pool noodles, duct taped it into a circle, covered it with fabric and hung that up on the door. Closer, but still not enough. Of course what I thought it needed was a new wall hanging to match the rug!

I stared at my stash and there was the 1/2 jelly roll I bought on sale at Joann's about 2 years ago for just $7: aqua, white, brown and orange. Perfect!

I made some simple squares but it was a bit boring so I cut them a little wonky and added some white and gray borders, inspired by those modern quilts I've been looking at lately.

It went together quickly yesterday and the design left lots of small spaces for free motion quilting, so I used a different quilting pattern in each fabric. I've never been able to master feathers, but these came out pretty good! I finished the quilting and the binding today.

So it all started with the rug, but then I found a use for fabric bought a long time ago, used the ideas of quilts I've looked at recently, practiced some free motion quilting... and ended up with something I really like!

Christmas is over but my front door is once again welcoming and cheerful. I have lots of bigger projects I could have been working on, but it was fun to start and finish something so quickly.

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
polardreams

Kate,
you amaze me with your creativity! So cute and clever and welcoming. Nice job.
Sue

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 11:30PM
jaceysgranny

It's very cute!

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 12:38AM
grandmamary_ga

Too pretty to be outdoors! Great job from a talented quilter.
Mary

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:55AM
msmeow

Very nice, Kate! Small projects are lots of fun...it's nice to get the (nearly) instant gratification. :)

Donna

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:27AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Kate, Kate, Kate! It's perfect and knowing the background makes it perfecter (you do know I make up words, right?) You are really getting good at quilting!!! Your entryway is very inviting.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 9:14AM
littlehelen_gw

Looks great Kate...very fresh and the quilting is really nice...you've got those feathers down!!!
V.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 10:25AM
beth7happy

you are just tooooo much!! Now, how CUTE is all that, huh??? LOVE it!!!

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 11:53AM
rosajoe_gw

Beautiful! but I already knew you were artistic! Everything ties together so well.

I was looking at my front walkway trying to decide something to do that's between Christmas and Spring!

Your feathers are absolutely gorgeous! I have decide this is the year I will finally conquer them.
Rosa

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 12:02PM
magothyrivergirl

Very pretty & welcoming. I like the wonky modern look. Nice quilting - looks like you are enjoying your new machine.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 1:29PM
quiltingfox

I think it looks nice and cheery to welcome people into your home. You amaze me with all your quilting endeavors. Your entryway looks great.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 2:42PM
quiltnhen

Fantastic! Your creativity makes a welcoming entrance that shares a bit about the resident.
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 3:07PM
jennifer_in_va

It just screams "KATE"! So nice to have that outside area to decorate.

Love those quick projects! Such a sense of gratification. Now you'll be ready to move on to something bigger and still feel empowered!

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:03AM
bev2009

You did a wonderful job of pulling everything together so quickly, without fussing forever (like I do). The entrance looks beautiful and I love the quickie quilt.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 3:10PM
lafonda_ranch

I love it!!! I love the creativity, too. And to do it all so quickly. Your feathers are beautiful. I'm still struggling with those :-(

Robbi

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:32PM
K8Orlando

I'm still struggling with the feathers too but this time it felt good. For the first time I found the rhythm of making them. I'm confident now that I can get better. I have tried for years and thought it would never happen!

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:47PM
loisflan

Very charming entry, Kate. You are soooo creative, and productive too.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™