Am I crazy?!

captncarsApril 23, 2014

We are currently building a house and our standard for bathroom floors is a 12x24 porcelain tile, which I really like. But when I was at the store picking out things I spotted a vinyl sheet floor that I fell in live with. Am I crazy for wanting to "downgrade" to vinyl? It has a very pretty gray linen look. And I also like the idea of a solid surface floor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wannabegardnr

There are tiles that have that look if it is the look you are after.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:20PM
awm03

That's very striking with your other materials! I can see why you like it. No, not a downgrade at all, just good taste : )

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:23PM
jennyzone5

If you like it then it's nothing but a bonus that it's cheaper and easier to install/clean than tile! I vote go for it.

To me, what you like is far more important than what is considered an upgrade or downgrade.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 5:58PM
nosoccermom

What's better in terms of durability and water protection?

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:11PM
captncars

Thanks! I'm just going to go for it. If I end up not liking it I can always tile later. Just less grout I have to deal with :)

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:27PM
crl_

I don't think you are crazy at all. We just remodeled our master bathroom and I chose Marmoleum over tile for the flooring. I don't like the feel of tile under foot and I have always found tile floors difficult to keep clean. Very happy with our Marmoleum.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 6:55PM
awm03

I think it will be great. Grout lines are busy looking. Your sheet vinyl floor will add a visual calm that's very appealing.

What are the other materials for? Pretty stuff! Is the black for a countertop? It's beautiful.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:01PM
OhMarti

I agree with your decision. If you can save money AND love it, that is the only way to go. I love it too, by the way!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:04PM
palimpsest

Vinyl's fine, and can be more comfortable underfoot than ceramic.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:21PM
may_flowers

Tile requires a stiffer subfloor than vinyl. In my remodel going from vinyl to tile, we needed to add a cement board subfloor over the original floor. That raised the tile above the hardwood hallway, requiring an awkward threshold strip. So you might see if you can use the cement board now and not have this problem if you switch to tile later.

I saw a lot of linen-look tiles when I was tile shopping.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:34PM
Annie Deighnaugh

We put vinyl in our library, foyer, kitchen, FR, DR and craft room and we love it. Depending on the quality of the vinyl, it can be softer, warmer, durable, easy to clean and a good choice for flooring.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 7:39PM
debo_2006

We have a "tile-look" vinyl in our bathroom that is high end. It is comfy on the feet and not cold like real tile is. It is very easy to clean. I think you will be happy with your choice.

We also have vinyl in our foyer/hallway/kitchen/laundry room/powder room (all attached rooms). The leftover piece went into the mentioned upstairs bathroom. Love it.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:11PM
yayagal

We put vinyl that had a foam insulation and also was skid resitant, it's in our master bath and we love it. This summer I'm going to put it in my sun room. You don't get that freezing floor like you do with tile.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 9:13PM
nosoccermom

Sounds like a great choice, then. My only experience with vinyl was white sheet vinyl, which had tiny cuts that looked black in no time.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:14PM
ladyamity

Another positive for vinyl.....
Dropped a bottle of nail polish on tile, it shattered and you can imagine the mess!
Dropped a glass bottle of liquid face foundation on vinyl and it sort of gave a slight bounce before it actually settled on the floor, without breaking.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:22PM
captncars

Thanks for everyone's input.
Originally I was going to put the darker tile on the floor and the lighter tile on the tub surround and in the shower with the darker tile on the shower floor. The countertops are a white granite and our cabinets are espresso shaker.
Should I still put the lighter tile on the tub surround now that the floor will also be light gray?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Window treatments for short windows
My house is an 80s split foyer with short (36")...
cevamal
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
Does anyone know how to find a painting seen in a movie?
About a month ago, we were going out for dinner and...
pickyshopper
can anyone school me on encaustic tile?
I've found a pic of this gorgeous bathroom tile but...
daisychain01
tibbrix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™