Trees through deck - Input Sought

uvascanyonSeptember 17, 2013

We recently purchased a home that had a deck built around two oak trees. The trees have grown to where they are now impacting the deck, particularly when it's windy. I wish to address this before winter storms come...

I include a couple photos. I wish to clearance the openings, but not sure what tool might be best for the job. On the larger tree, I might just mark-up the lumber, then remove the planks, cut and screw back into place. I started this and a couple screws busted on me (pretty rusty)...

On the other tree, those planks are longer and run under some steps, so their removal is not so easy.

Curious to hear any thoughts. Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uvascanyon

The other photo...

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:01PM
kirkhall

Is there a reason you couldn't plunge cut the boards in place with a circular saw (or possibly a reciprocating saw)?

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:35AM
weedyacres

I'd probably start by drawing out the new, wider opening around the trees. Then I'd take a circular saw, set the blade at the depth of the deck boards, and cut out the new opening in the deck boards. Remove the short cut pieces, then attack whatever framing changes you need to make to support the new opening.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:19PM
annzgw

Also......consider a circular saw with a smaller blade, say 5 1/2". A smaller blade will allow you to cut those circles/angles but it depends on the thickness of your boards

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 12:43PM
brooklyndecks

It looks like the framing below is also very close to the trees, based on the visible screw heads. Your best solution is marking and removing the boards, then cut the joists away, and install new ones further from the trees. Cut the boards with a jigsaw, then reinstall. If the framing was further away, a jigsaw would be the tool to use.

steve

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™