Longer or wider?

jscozzJune 21, 2012

We are getting very close to ground breaking... and I am looking forward to starting a "Pool build" thread with pictures on here...

Painted the pool out today in the yard... my first impression was that it should be a little shorter and a little wider... I know it is a very subjective question... but those of you who guessed at what size was right for you, did you guess right? Would you go wider? Longer? Shorter?

My layout is free-form... center line length 47'. Width at center narrow section, 16'. Width at deep end: 19'. Shallow end has a bumped out baha shelf that makes the overall width about 29'.

My first impression in looking at it painted on the ground is to reduce overall length by 2 feet to 45', and increase width at center and deep end by 2 feet.

We do not swim laps... will mainly be used by family, kids, volleyball, etc. I would love to hear opinions on how the size you picked looked and worked out for you once built... and if you would do it differently now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houseful

Can you post a picture? CAD drawings?

You only need 40 feet for laps if you DID want to swim them.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:58AM
jscozz

I don't have any yet from PB... I will try to sketch it out and post... I guess I am curious what an average width is for a 40-45 ft lagoon style pool... seems that 16 at the narrow midpoint is too small... we want to use it for volleyball and games too.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 11:06AM
jasonlmarsh

In my opinion, the most aesthetically pleasing would be for the average width to be about half of the length (within a foot or two). 16x47 seems pretty narrow (unless it's going in a long, narrow yard. If your length is set on 47' I would try to keep the "average Width" around 22'-24'.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:12PM
marta_p

Hi jscozz, ours is 36' x 16' give or take and I would definitely go wider next time. There are just 3 of us, so it isn't a problem, but I think it would be nice for games and also just floating around on a raft to have more room. That said, 36' is plenty long. good luck!

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™