Need new pool filter help

echoooooJune 30, 2012

I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump but don't want to get ripped off either. Considering a Hayward ecostar variable speed pump. Does anyone have any comments about which pump I should get. I have a 13,000 gallon salt water pool in Orlando. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echooooo

Sorry that subject should have said need new pool pump help

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 11:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
www.SwimmingPoolSteve.com

Ok this is actually a very complicated question. To answer as briefly as possible, yes you should buy a VS pump and the Ecostar is a reliable brand name. HOWEVER the ecostar very likely will exceed the flow rate that you need. It may even exceed the flow rate for your pool filter and damage it. Do you have sand or a cartridge element filter? What is the max flow rate for your filter? You WILL need to know this info in order to size your pump.

For a residential application a pool needs to turn over the entire volume of pool water every 24 hours. You have a 13,000 gallon pool so you need to effectively filter 39,000 gallons of water every 24 hours. That equals 1625 gallons per hour or 27 gallons per minute of flow (all assuming you run your system 24 hours per day, which you should, and is a specific advantage of VS pumps).

So you need 27 gpm. So how much does the Hayward Ecostar supply? 160 gpm. That is almost 6 times what you actually need. Do you have a big waterfall or an attached hot tub that you also need to power occasionally with this pump? If so the Ecostar may be just right, but if not you are drastically oversizing your pump. This is the same mistake that so many pool owners (and many pool professionals) make. You need to understand how to properly size your equipment to get the most out of it. To cut to the chase with your specific question, I would advise you to go with the Hayward super pump VS, SP2602VSP if you have a very basic and manual installation or the Tristar VS, SP3200VSP if you have a more advanced mechanical setup such as an automation controller, digital heater etc.

For more detailed information about how to calculate everything discussed here as well as a complete review of every variable speed pool pump you should consider buying you can read my personal take on variable speed pump reviews

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Almost there, infinity edge
Waiting on plaster and landscaping. Almost there......
poolmd
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™