Exposed Aggregate Patio - ok for bare feet?

magdiegoSeptember 27, 2012

Hi,

We're finishing up a LOOONNNGG remodel process (I've been saying that for a while now, someday we'll really finish up) and we need to decide on the patio.

A few years before this remodel, we had our old plain concrete patio stained and sealed. It looked beautiful, but I didn't like how slippery it was when wet. It was less slippery after the sealer began to wear off, but then the finish wasn't as nice.

We looked at stamped concrete, but my husband doesn't care for it. (He also wants a solid patio, and isn't interested in pavers.) So now we're thinking about exposed aggregate. I like the look, but I'm worried about how it feels underfoot. We're in Southern California, so we go barefoot most of the year.

Our GC likes a product called Top-Cast, which looks to be less rough textured than traditional exposed aggregate.

Does anyone have experience with Top-Cast, or with exposed aggregate in general? How does it feel underfoot? Does it need to be sealed (the concrete contractor told me the Top-Cast doesn't need sealing)?

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cbusmomof3

We have a 500sq.ft exposed aggregate patio that our builder installed. It was what he spec'd for our house (not an upgrade). I wasn't sure if I would like it, but definitely didn't want to spend extra money on the patio. Once it was poured, I was so happy we didn't do something different. I love it and I think it feels great on my feet. It's not slippery at all.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 8:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magdiego

Thanks, cbusmomof3, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Since we're at the tail end of this remodel, saving some money is a definite plus, but on the other hand, I didn't want a plain gray slab just off our brand spanking new addition. Sounds like it will work for us.

Thanks again,

Mary

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™