How much Borax to add?

kathymehnertJune 16, 2007

We have a 33000 gal pool and have been fighting the chlorine and ph balance. The pool was clear until we added the soda ash, but think vacuuming it will do the trick. The ph is at 7.2 and .5 for chlorine. What now? Our Acid is rising. Want to add Borax, but don't know how much. Then, what do we do about the chlorine? We have super shock. When do we add it? Should it be at night? Household Bleach into the skimmer? Appreciate any help.

Thanks in Medina, Ohio......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fl-waterbug

There is a web site at www.poolforum.com/pf2/index.php that has forums specific to each area of water care. You will need to have some basic info available before the group can help.
What is the PH and chlorine (you listed those), what is the CYA level (stabilizer), Alk, and Cal. It sounds like a gunite pool (from size). Do you have a SWG?
Basically your Ph is pretty good (7.4 to 7.6 is perfect) but your chlorine is low. Chlorine level depends on the level of CYA. CYA stablizes chlorine so it is not quickly broken down by sunlight. Chlorine levels of 3 to 5ppm are common. The level of Alk is what contols how fast/easy the PH changes. it should be around 80 to 120ppm.

You can use regular unscented bleach. Pour it around the edge of the pool. Don't add it to the skimmer as strong bleach can harm the plastic in the skimmer.
Finally, in a 33000 gal pool, 26oz of Borax will raise Ph 0.2.

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 5:26PM
kathymehnert

Thanks soooooooooooo much............will add info about all pool levels.........thanks, again :) Kathy

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 5:37PM
kathymehnert

Hello again,
Here are the latest readings....
TAC 1
ph 7.4
TA 240
Calcim H 375
CYA 35
TDS 1100
33 K gallons
Inground/vinyl liner
Sand filter

With my morning readings
TAC 1
PH 7.4
Acid demand : low
TAC 300
What is going on? Could the store readings (they use chemicals) be off on the Calcium and CYA?
Why is my acid demand low and TAC so ^*&%*&^% high?
Thinking about adding acid, daily, but what if CYA is off?
Help..........(~.~) Thanks

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™