Deck Height (compared to threshold)

superkSeptember 21, 2009

We are having a deck built and a question of deck height, in relation to the sliding door threshold which leads to the deck has arisen. What is the recommended drop in height, if there is a recommendation, for the deck surface as compared to the threshold one is walking through to reach the deck? Our builder recommended that the deck be a minimum of 3 to 4 inches lower than the threshold to protect the door from rain and snow. Your thoughts, comments, experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Its a trade off..walking out on a 3'' step is not a good idea ... but depending on your weather that would help until the snow piled up 5 ''.

I put all mine threshold highth. J.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 5:42PM
weedyacres

Mine's an inch or two below the threshold. That way it's not too noticeable of a step down.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 6:02PM
manhattan42

Building Codes allow for a landing outside an exterior door (in this case a 'deck') to be up to the allowed maximum height for stair risers.

For example, if the local Code allows for a maximum stairway riser height of 7 3/4", then the distance from the top of the deck surface to the top of the door threshold can be 7 3/4"...a comfortable step down or step up.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 7:58PM
sierraeast

In the area of our build, 6" is the min with 7-13/16" (why just not 7-3/4"), is the maximum same as tread height requirements. You might want to check in with your local yocal authorities. on a count of if there is a height requirement and you haven't followed it, bummer to have to lower your deck, (if you were to get caught that is).

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™